US expels 8,800 migrant children under coronavirus rules

The administration implemented new border rules on March 21 that scrapped decades-old practices under laws meant to protect children from human trafficking and offer them a chance to seek asylum in a US immigration court.
The administration said the emergency rules were designed to avert coronavirus outbreaks inside migrant holding facilities and among the broader US population.
Since then, US officials have been quickly removing migrants, including unaccompanied minors, without standard immigration proceedings.
Trump, seeking reelection on November 3, has taken a hard line toward legal and illegal immigration as president.
Immigration advocates have argued that the new regulations put migrants, especially children, at grave risk. The federal government has been holding them for days or sometimes weeks in hotels with unlicensed contractors to look after them. Attorneys have said the children’s personal information is not recorded in the usual computer systems, making them almost impossible to track.
In June, US Customs and Border Protection chief Mark Morgan said that about 2,000 unaccompanied children had been expelled under the order.
The American Civil Liberties Union sued the administration over the order in June, and the agency has declined to update the numbers since then, citing pending litigation.
The government produced the figures in a Justice Department filing to the San Francisco-based 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals objecting to a September 4 order that it stop holding children in hotels before expelling them.