Bangladesh interim government information and broadcasting adviser Nahid Islam, second from left, speaks at a press conference held at Foreign Service Academy in Dhaka on Monday. | CA Press Wing

 

Bangladesh desk:  Information adviser Nahid Islam and local government adviser Asif Mahmud Shojib Bhuyain on Monday suspected a conspiracy behind the clashes between the students of different colleges and other chaotic incidents concurrently happening in Dhaka city and other parts of the country.

‘Monday has been eventful. Many incidents happened today. One among them is, some people have been brought to Dhaka city by buses and microbuses since early morning in the name of giving loans, while students of several colleges  locked in clashes,’ Nahid told a press conference at the Foreign Service Academy in the capital.

A platform called ‘Non-violent mass uprising’ has brought people by spreading a false campaign, he said, adding that the convener of that platform had been taken into police custody.

 

He said that many quarters, including the fascist Awami League, wanted the interim government to fail and aimed to create turbulence in the government’s functioning.

 

‘We are scrutinising the CCTV footage and news on television channels to identify those involved in attacks on students. Everything would be clear after investigation,’ Asif said.

He also said that the authorities saw different social media posts reporting three deaths, but no established media house came out with any such reports.

‘But, so far, we have not received any news of anyone being killed. It was not confirmed. We have not seen any established media outlets to come up with any news reporting such deaths,’ he added.

‘Many have been injured, admitted to hospital, this we have come to know. They are being treated,’ he said.

Law enforcement agencies tried their best to avoid clashes, Asif said.

‘In no way should the students clash with law enforcement agencies, nor should they clash among themselves. College authorities were trying to calm the situation. But by no means could the clash be avoided,’ he added.

Nahid said that the police had some shortcomings as the force was now undergoing reforms.

About the attacks on daily Prothom Alo’s Rajshahi office, information adviser Nahid Islam said that vandalism of any newspaper office or pressure to close the newspaper would not be tolerated.

‘If anyone has any complaints against any newspaper, they can report it. But it must be peaceful. We do not support vandalising of any newspaper office, applying pressure to close the newspaper. Such incidents will not be tolerated in the future,’ he warned.

 

He said that legal action must be taken against those involved in vandalism.

 

‘We call on all to peacefully express their anger if they have any.’ he said.

Stressing that ‘people have the right to assembly’ Nahid said, ‘If there is a specific complaint, legal action can be taken for it. We urge all not to participate in any undesirable or anarchic actions, in actions that will spoil the image of Bangladesh.’

Chief adviser’s press secretary Shafiqul Alam and deputy press secretary Apurba Jahangir were also present at the press conference.