Major US networks cut away from Donald Trump as he repeats baseless election fraud claims

Fox News and CNN stuck with the White House news conference, but reported afterward that the president offered no evidence for his accusations of vote fraud.
The three big US broadcast networks – ABC, CBS and NBC – cut away from President Donald Trump’s news conference at the White House on Thursday as the president lobbed false claims about the integrity of the election.
Mr Trump timed his appearance to air during the networks’ evening newscasts, which draw the biggest collective audience in TV news. But the anchors broke in after a few minutes to correct some of his falsehoods.
“We have to interrupt here, because the president made a number of false statements, including the notion that there has been fraudulent voting,” said Lester Holt, the “NBC Nightly News” anchor. He added, “There has been no evidence of that.”
On ABC, the anchor David Muir broke in and told viewers “there’s a lot to unpack here and fact-check.” The CBS correspondent Nancy Cordes spent about 90 seconds ticking through several of Mr Trump’s baseless statements.
Although the cable news networks CNN and Fox News continued carrying Mr Trump’s remarks live, the decision by the broadcast networks to break away deprived Mr Trump of a significantly larger audience for his unfiltered – and un-fact-checked – remarks on the election. The three network evening newscasts are seen by a larger and broader viewership than the programming on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News at that hour.
The question of whether to air Mr Trump’s appearances live has bedeviled television executives since the start of his presidency. Earlier this year, networks struggled with how to contextualise information from Mr Trump about the coronavirus that doctors and public health officials considered misleading and sometimes downright wrong.